Mushroom & Truffle Risotto
METHOD FOR RISOTTO
- ½ lb butter (1/4 lb)
- 1.5 lbs fresh wild mushrooms, roughly chopped (best to get a blend shitake, oyster, king oyster, cremini, portabello or porcini, hen of the woods, chanterelle, morel
- ½ L Arborio rice (approx. 1.5 cups)
- ¼ L diced Vidalia onions or shallots (approx. ½ cup)
- ¼ L diced leeks (approx. ½ cup)
- 1.5 L chicken or mushroom stock (do not use regular vegetable stock)
- ¼ L white wine (approx. ½ cup)
- ½ L grated parmesan
- ¼ L EVOO (approx. ½ cup)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives (or spring onion tips)
1. Roughly chop mushrooms. Preheat a large non-stick skillet (high heat). Add extra virgin olive oil and sauté mushrooms with a pinch of fresh thyme & rosemary and kosher salt. Cook until caramelized and golden brown in color. Transfer to a bowl. Be sure not overcrowd the pan while searing the mushrooms or they will steam and not caramelize. It may mean doing this step in batches and searing the mushrooms in portions rather than all at once.
2. Heat chicken or mushroom stock in a separate pot until simmering. Turn off heat once simmering.
3. Return skillet to a medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add diced onions and garlic, remaining rosemary & thyme, and saute until translucent, stirring occasionally.
4. Add Arborio rice and de-glaze with white wine. Reduce.
5. Add chicken broth, one ladel at a time, and stirring constantly, cook the risotto for 14-16 minutes, or until cooked through but still al-dente.
6. Add the mushrooms back to the pan and, on low heat, add the parmesan, cold butter, and tarragon.
7. Finish with truffle oil.
8. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh chives and parmesan or parmesan crisps.
METHOD FOR CHIVE OIL
- 2 bunches chives (or green onions)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled & chopped/zested
- 1 cup canola oil
1. Blanching chives: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Have an icebath (bowl of water & ice) on hand for shocking chives once blanched. Once water is boiling, add chives for 10-20 seconds. Remove from boiling water and shock in icebath.
2. Making oil: in a blender, add oil, blanched chives (chop them first), salt, and garlic cloves. Blend until nice and smooth. Strain.
3. Ready to serve!
METHOD FOR CRISPY SHALLOTS
- 4 pcs shallots (or red onions)
- 1 cup AP flour or cornstarch
- 4 cups canola oil, for frying
1. Peel and shave shallots on a mandolin (or slice VERY thinly with a sharp knife).
2. Bring a pot of oil to 350 degrees.
3. Toss the sliced shallots with the flour.
4. Fry the shallots, in batches, until golden brown. Salt them when they come out of the oil. Lay them on paper towel.
5. Ready to serve!